Specializing in home cooked meals for any occasion!
The History of Hillcrest Catering Facility
It was the late 1940’s and the pastor of SS. Peter & Paul Byzantine Catholic Church in Minersville, Father Vladimir E. Kapisinsky, was faced with quite a problem. He was concerned that the parish children were lacking in their education of their Catholic faith and Eastern tradition. A parochial school was needed but the $100,000.00 of initial debt needed seemed to be an impossible goal.
Fr. Kapisinsky’s long-term solution would be the erection of what we now know as Hillcrest Hall. Requiring an initial mortgage of $55,000.00, the facility structure began as an old army Quonset hut (the arch of which can still be seen the peak of the roof). Solemnly blessed on December 26, 1948, the hall quickly became a center for church and community events. In addition to wedding banquets, there were many dinners for organizations, “big band” performances, concerts, dances, and other fundraisers. By 1953, the debt was liquidated and Hillcrest began earning money towards its initial goal. Along with the generosity and the hard work of the parishioners, SS. Peter & Paul School would be dedicated on August 17, 1958. The banquet that followed took place – obviously – at Hillcrest Hall!
The first renovation that took place at Hillcrest took place under the guidance of Fr. Paul Waselus in 1959. The facility was expanded to accommodate more people and to improve working conditions. A second and more thorough renovation and modernization of the facility took place in the early 1990’s under the pastorate of Fr. Donald Kranak. In addition to transforming the main hall into the elegant facility that it is today, Fr. Kranak also renovated the church basement to serve as an auxiliary hall for smaller events such as funeral luncheons and bridal and baby showers. The renovated church and hall were solemnly blessed by Bishop Michael Dudick on August 27, 1995. In 2004, the hall exterior was completely repaired and painted and a new sign was installed to be seen by everyone coming up the Minersville-Llewellyn Highway.
No history of Hillcrest would be complete without mentioning the significant role of Helen Lohin. For 40 years she served in just about every capacity at Hillcrest, including 10 years as assistant manager under Fr. Kranak, and manager of Hillcrest for another 10 years after Fr. Kranak’s untimely passing in 1996. Her dignity and grace, as well as her prudent managerial style, produced a high standard of excellence that helped define the modern Hillcrest facility.
Upon Helen Lohin’s retirement in 2006, she was succeeded by Rose Marie Pavelko, who has taken Hillcrest to yet another level of excellence by modernizing our outreach to the world by introducing this website and providing for internet communication for those coming from “out of town.” Rose has also introduced more menu options to meet the more modern (and sometime exotic) tastes of our clients, and she has demonstrated a keen ability to meet the unique and special needs of many different events that are held each year.
As we journey through our 60th year of existence, Hillcrest continues to attract many individuals and organizations as the largest catering facility in the area and “the place” to have one’s special day.
|Hillcrest Catering Phone: 570.544.9944|
|631 Minersville/Llewellyn Hwy Minersville, PA 17954|